Artist- Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec
La revue blanche (the white revue) 1895
Lithograph.
I was attracted to this one mostly due to its size. It is quite dull with the lack of colours used and it isn't the most attractive one in the room but I preferred it as it is set out like an advertisement. Also because of its setting I was intrigued into what it actually was about.
Artist- Renè Magritte
Les Amants (the lovers) 1928
Oil on canvas.
It is hard not to be drawn to this painting as it is unusual. The colours and detail are incredible, so much so that they are also part of the main reason that you would be drawn in as it is not that big of a painting and they make up for the lack of size. The message/ feeling that I get from this painting is a loss of identity, it is what the covered faces portray to me. Just staring at it you just come up with all of these meanings that the artist could have been trying to put across.
Artist- Pablo Picasso
Femme au fauteuil no.1 (Woman in an armchair no.1) 1948
Lithograph.
This one jumped out at me because the face of the woman is very detailed and attractive, then I found it very unattractive once I had a closer look at it. To me it feels like the artist put a lot of effort in the face of the woman and just gave up with all of the other details as she has a beautiful face. I think I would be attracted to it if the artist did put the same amount of effort and detail in the whole artwork and I know that wasn’t his intentions.
Cubism & expressionism:
Artist- Otto Dix
Matrose und madchen (Sailor & girl) 1923
Lithograph.
I chose this one for its colours- basically just red and blue; and also for the almost evil smile of the sailor. I like it because of the technique- it seems very rough at first but as you keep looking at it you see the finer details.
Artist- Josef Albers
Homage to the square: on an early sky 1964
Oil on composition board.
I was drawn to this one as it has very bold colours and sharp edges/ shapes. I like it as they are just average squares but the artist has been able to make them look out of the ordinary and abstract. I feel he has also made I more interesting as the squares aren’t in the middle of each other so it’s not too symmetrical.
Artist- Jim Dine
An animal 1961
Oil and pelt on canvas.
This work stood out from all of the others in the room as it is very dark and big. It is not easy to actually see what it is so it draws you in to take a closer look. I like this work because the artist has tried to make the paint look the same as the fur; with the colours and texture of the paint.

Artist- Dan Flavin
Monument to V. Tatlin 1966-69
Fluorescent tubes.
This was the brightest work in this room. At first I did not like it and I found myself asking- why is this art? (I know we aren’t supposed to). All it is made of is fluorescent lights and they are just placed in a certain way; but in saying that as you do stare at it to try and figure it out, I found, that you become in a sort of trance because it is so bright. I can’t decide whether I like it or not though.
Abstract impressionism:
Artist- David Smith
25 planes 1958
Stainless steel.
This one grabs attention due to its size and the fact that it is made out of stainless steel. I like this work because all of the patterns and textures in the steel are beautiful. As I kept looking at this work I thought I could make out a shape of a person in the structure- but I’m not sure if my eyes were just playing tricks.
South East Asian art:
Artist- Malay people
Qur’an- late 18th – early 19th century.
Leather, paper, gold leaf, ink; painting & calligraphy.
These books are incredible- there is so much detail they seem printed. The borders are symmetrical and the writing is straight. They are very neat and have been kept in such good condition. Just all of the detail and care amazes me.
Artist- Early Mughal empire
Architectural brackets & lintels 1450-1600
Teak.
All of the artwork in this area was amazing but I chose this one because it was the biggest but still had the finest details. There were a few of these around in this area and it is incredible to think how many actually would have been created to decorate important structures and how skilled the workers were.
Aboriginal art:
Artist- Vernon Ah Kee
Austracism 2003
Ink on polypropylene board, satin laminate.
I was attracted to this artwork as it seems to be out of place next to all of the traditional aboriginal works. It is a very political piece and was interesting to read all of the comments on it but I am not sure whether I like it or not. It is a very strong piece and the artist did put a lot of effort into making it that way, but it is not one of my favourites.
Australian colonial:
Artist- Louis Tannert
The eastern market 1878
Oil on canvas.
I struggled to find an artwork in this area that jumped out at me. I chose this one as when I took a closer look I really liked the artists work. The colours are used very well especially with the shadowed areas of the market. There is also a lot of fine detail in the painting such as the vegetables and the people’s faces.
Artist- Arthur Streeton
Circular Quay 1892
Oil on wood panel.
This was one of the smallest artworks in the room and therefore stood out to me as I needed to go and investigate it. It has a lot of tiny details- not fine detail but still an amazing amount for its size. It almost looks like a photograph to me just because of its composition.

Artist- Henry Talbat
Woolloomooloo 1956
Gelatin silver photograph.
I like this photograph because of its detail, lighting and composition and I have no other reasons, it was just attractive to me.
Artist- Fiona Hall
Paradisus Terrestris 1989-90
Aluminum, tin.
This is my most favourite work so far. They just look like sardine tins from far away but once you get close up you see that there is so much detail inside the tin as well as out. It is amazing how much skill this artist has.

All images are from:
http://www.nga.gov.au/






No comments:
Post a Comment